A guide to Candle Care & Safety
For a long-lasting candle, the first time you burn it, let the wax pool reach the sides of the jar (about 1 to 2 hours). This first burn creates a 'memory' for future burns and prevents tunnelling. Tunnelling happens when the wax forms a tunnel down the centre and does not reach the sides of the jar—the candle won't last as long.
- Always keep wicks centred in the melted wax, and regularly trim to ¼” tall. A quick trim between lighting's is best (using a wick trimmer makes it super easy, especially when reaching into a narrow vessel).
• Avoid burning any candle more than 3-4 hours at a time. Blow them out and allow to cool before relighting.
• Using a wick dipper is the easy, smoke-free way to extinguish your candles. It’s a simple tool that dips the flame into melted wax and pulls it back up, ready for the next lighting. Once you try one, you'll love it.
A few important safety tips:
Never leave a burning candle unattended.
• Do not burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
• Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
• Know when it’s time to say goodbye. Stop using a candle when only 1cm of wax remains.
• Be sure to place candle on a stable, heat resistant surface before lighting. For candles in metal vessels, using a cork or stone coaster is best as they tend to get hotter than others.
• Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings and debris, including burnt matches.
• Avoid air drafts which can cause soot build up and uneven burning. (Wipe soot out regularly with a dry soft paper towel).
• Do not move or touch a burning candle.
• Remember to burn all candles in a well-ventilated room.
• Never fall asleep to candlelight!
• Be sure to extinguish and let cool a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly.
**Our premium CocoSoy candles are sensitive to temperature extremes and bright sunlight. When not in use, store in a cool place out of direct sunlight. Some surface discolouration and frosting may occur, but this will not impact its burning capabilities **