Have you ever had a candle that looks like it has a mushroom growing on top of the wick?

What is this strange phenomenon? What causes it? Is it harmful to my candle or my environment?

Simple answer: a wick will mushroom when the wax of your candle cannot burn fast enough to keep up with the wick. The wick will absorb the wax, creating a build-up of carbon particles on the wick.
 
Candlewick mushrooming, is it harmful?
These “mushrooms’ are formations of carbon. The good news! They are not inherently harmful to you or your candle. However, you will probably see a much larger flame when you light these until the carbon has burnt off – carbon creates additional fuel for the flame.
 
Solution:
If “mushrooming” occurs with your candle, we recommend trimming the carbon build-up off the wick between burns. Suppose you have a combination of “mushrooming” and excessive soot building up on the sides of your container. In that case, we recommend wiping with a soft, non-abrasive cloth around the inside of your candle container gently.
 
How do I stop my wick from mushrooming?
A wick that stands up straight is more likely to mushroom, whilst a wick bent at an angle is less likely to have any build-up. Keeping your wick trimmed is the most straightforward fix. Wicks should always be trimmed to ¼ inch. Trimming your candle wick every 4 hours of burn is suggested. Always extinguish the flame before trimming the wick, let the candle come to room temperature before trimming, or trim before lighting each time.

Breathe confidently – breathe safely!

We guarantee fantastic scent throws, increased burn time and cleaner-burning candles. You cannot go wrong with a Lys Creations NZ hand-crafted candle.

Please feel free to contact us here if you have any questions.

    

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published